Suitable start-ups to be funded through develoPPP Ventures are being selected during an open ideas competition. The funding contract is concluded with one of the two implementing partners, DEG – Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
The develoPPP Ventures ideas competition takes place twice a year, during the following time windows:
2nd quarter: May 15 to June 30
4th quarter: November 15 to December 31
DEG provides grant co-financing of up to EUR 100,000 (and a top-up of EUR 100,000 for successful Ventures in a potential second phase).
- Innovation: The business model is innovative with regard to the target country
- Scalability: The company has a high growth potential due to the size of the market and the target group
- Financial Sustainability: The break-even point will be reached timely (maximum within 3 years)
- Adequate Management: The company has the necessary expertise as well as management capacity and human resources to substantially scale its business
- Developmental Impact: The business model has a significant developmental relevance
- The impact is measurable, i.e. positive effects on the target groups
- The company is contributing to reaching the SDGs by increasing local income, saving natural resources, improving access to resources and services, and creating decent jobs
DEG – Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH, with funds from the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), supports young companies to scale innovative business models that create positive impact and contribute to achieving the SDGs in Kenya.
- The company is registered in Kenya OR plans to register there prior to the investment
- The company is privately owned and profit-oriented
- At least one annual financial statement is provided
- A business plan and a financial plan
- The company is operative and has generated first revenues from operating activities (Proof of Concept)
- The initial selection is made based on the application forms that can be handed in during the Ideas Competition
- Companies passing this first stage will be invited to pitch in front of the DEG investment committee.
- Due diligence will then be performed on successful companies, during which more detailed information is evaluated (including the business plan and financial projections (for at least 5 years), information on other investors and potential customers, etc.).
Why work with Scaling International?
Scaling International helps companies to access impact finance: grants intended to create positive impact beyond financial return. We have knowledge of grant options that may apply to you. Please note that Scaling International is not affiliated with any of the above organisations. Contact us (email@example.com) for a free assessment to find out whether your idea may qualify for financing and how we can be of your service.